List It

It's easy for me to forget. 

If I don't write it down, I'll forget to do things that really need to be done, buy things that really need to be bought, and forget to relay messages that really need to be communicated.  My husband chuckles when I open my day planner.  It's just a big long list of things to remember.  But, ya know what?  It works.  It helps me.  And, at the end of the day, I'm sure glad I took the time to do it.

A couple years ago I started a different kind of list.  My 'free list'.  I started to realize that there were many things coming to us that I paid zero for.  Our sofa.  Our table and chairs.  Food.  Rugs.  When I stopped and looked around, I realized how blessed I was.  And, I realized, too, how much of it I took for granted. 

So, I decided to start writing it down.  I literally started to count my physical blessings.  And, to my amazement, I could not believe the length of my list!  At one point, there was not a day that went by that something free didn't fall into our laps.  It astonished me.  Writing it down helped me visualize His Goodness to me, His involvement in my family's life, and the tangible and countable blessings of my God who said He would provide all my needs -- and wouldn't ya know?!

This kind of tracking is a great habit to get into.  To recognize the good things in life.  At the time, it was my 'free list'.  But, I have other lists, too.  Lists of other kinds of blessings like my children's health, my job, the very breath I have when I wake up in the morning. 

How long would our lists be if we took time to diligently write them all down?  To recognize every good thing in our lives.  We'd probably fill notebooks and go through several boxes of pencils!   It may just blow our minds!

Comments

Popular Posts