Did I Just Say That??

About a year ago, I applied online with a company that is excellent in its field.  It would be a great career move for me to land a job with them.  I did my phone interview on Tuesday and they told me I would know more by the next day.  I don't remember, though, them telling me if they wanted me to call them or if I should wait on their call.  Wednesday came and by 3pm there was no word from them.  Being overly conscientious to make a good impression, I decided to just drop a follow up call to them.  The call went right to voice mail.  Usually, I like to run a small script through my head before I leave a message so I can be short and to the point with my words.  I didn't this time, so what came out was not rehearsed.  It went something like this: 

"Hi.  This is Valerie Bailey following up on my interview from yesterday.  I wasn't sure if you were waiting for my call, so I thought I'd give you a ring.  You can reach me at this number, but, ya know, don't bother calling me back anytime soon.  Thank you very much.  Bye-bye."  click.

I was frozen.

What did I just say? 

I rewound the tape in my head and played it back.  Did I just tell them to buzz off? 

oh, MY    GOSH!!

My thoughts accelerated and crescendoed in my mind... Do I call back?  Do I let it go?  Will I only sound more ridiculous if I try explaining myself over another voice message?  They don't know me.  They don't know that I can mix my words and thoughts and things come out wrong!  Can you get any more unprofessional, VALERIE?? 

I decided to go the safe route and email them.  I chuckled through the sentences as I tried to explain myself.  What I MEANT to say is, "I'm in no rush.  Call at your convenience."  What a difference in implication!

Thankfully, they found it to actually be amusing (phew!) and hired me in spite of seeing the foot in my mouth.

Next time, I will be more careful with how I say things.

Comments

Popular Posts