Super Pickle!

Sea Cucumbers. 

I never heard of them until I looked over my 6 year old's shoulder to see a picture of it in her coloring book.

"What's that?" I asked.

"It's a Sea Cucumber, Mommy." she informed me.

My questioning continued.  "I never heard of such of thing.  Are they for real?" 

I went home and Googled and found that they are very much for real and live worldwide at the bottom of the sea and people even catch them and eat them!  I also read something amazing about these little vegetable-shaped creatures.  If I read it correctly, they apparently can LIQUEFY! 

Excuse me, say WHAT?

Yep, it seems they are the superhero-powered creatures of the sea.  Wikipedia tells us that the collagen that forms their body wall can be loosened and tightened at will.  So, if it wants to squeeze through a small gap, it can essentially liquefy its body and pour into the space.  And then, it can hook back all it's collagen fibers and make its body firm again to protect itself from the dark forces of evil around it! 

Well, you just go with your superhero self!

It was always my understanding that a living thing has a bodily structure. And, if that structure was completely compromised, the creature would be destroyed.  That's how I always believed, no one ever informed me differently, so therefore it was.  My mind didn't imagine or even think to imagine beyond that boundary of thought.  And, yet, here lies the sea cucumber, showing me what I thought to be impossible. 

I'd like to nickname this new superhero friend of mine.  I shall call him

Super Pickle

Gee, I wonder if there are any creatures
 that have lasers that come out of their eyes that I don't know about either?

Comments

Popular Posts