The Boiling Point

I loooove hot tea. 

About 10 years ago, I fell in love with the tea/sofa/blanket combo.  Absolutely addicting.  I wouldn't try it unless you are prepared for a life-long commitment to it. Even 'til today, my husband and I have a ritual of putting the children to bed and immediately heading toward the teapot.  Sometimes, I do it without even thinking and I ask my husband to put the kettle and on and he says it already is.  In honor of this blog, I am having a cup as I type.

Here's the thing with me and my tea, though.  I like to catch it before it boils and whistles.  If I don't, I have to wait too long for it to cool down.  I've developed an ear for it so I can sense when it changes over from a mild simmer to the brink of boiling and whistling.  When I catch it, I can enjoy my tea much quicker and it's easier to hold the mug.

I'm still developing an ear for my temper, though.  I love my children, but sometimes I feel like Tom the cat about to blow his top because Jerry the mouse is driving him CRAZY! 

I could feel my patience simmering as I calmly instruct them....

Girls, no fighting.       Girls.      Giiiirrrrlllsss.       GIRLS!

                                                                         LISTEN!!!!!!
                                             PLEASE

                       YOU
     Will 


Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllll!  goes my whistle. 

The whole house can hear me blare like a firehouse alarm. 

I HATE when I get to that point, especially, because of how out of control I feel.  It's harder to stop the words from leaving my mouth.  It's harder to lower my voice.  And, it's certainly harder to make a good clear parenting decision for my children.  All will benefit if I catch myself before I whistle.

Comments

Popular Posts