Please Don't Stab Me

It all happened so fast.  My girls were sitting on the floor drawing nicely together.  Then, it seemed out of no where, my youngest threw her hand up with her pencil in it and stabbed her sister in the lower back.  As you can imagine...  Chaos.  Tears.  Daddy running for tweezers.  Out-patient surgery in the kitchen.  No Sunday picnic.

"Why in the world would you do that??" my husband grilled my youngest after it was over.

She was at a loss for an answer and said sorry a thousand times through her tears.  Her sister had done something to irritate her and she simply just reacted without thinking.

Let me insert here that my daughters are best friends.  They love each other.  They would stick up for each other in a crowd.  They are inseparable.  Also, the one in trouble in this scene is my beautiful little girl.  She has her moments, but she really is a sweet little thing and liked by many -- including her sister.

But, this is a good picture of how easy it is to hurt the ones we love, probably, because those are the ones most vulnerable to us. 

For example, I love my husband more than any man in the world. But, because we are so close and we have such a trust between us, I am actually more of a threat to him than anyone else.  He is trusting me with the 'pencil in my hand', hoping that if he is vulnerable with me, I won't turn on him and hurt him.  I know his weaknesses.  I am familiar with his 'buttons' and his insecurities.  It would be easy to fire words like daggers at him or allow my actions to crush his heart or stab him in the back.  And, the same applies with him toward me.   

Today, I am acutely aware that I, too, have a pencil in my hand.  I never want to hurt the ones I love.

Comments

Popular Posts