PLAY STOP REWIND PLAY STOP REWIND PLAY

Imagine seeing someone walking around all day with a portable DVD player, watching only the worst moments of their life over and over again --recalling every bad memory from childhood to adult.  Every wrong did to them.  Every wrong they committed.  Every hurtful word, broken promise, moments of rejection and failures of all kinds.  How depressing!  If anyone were to notice, they would probably question why and recommend they change their choice of DVD, or just put it down altogether! 

It would be a ridiculous and sad sight, but that is exactly what some of us do everyday.  Not with a DVD, but with our minds.  We spend our day rewinding scenes in our head and playing them back over and over.  Things that have hurt us.  Moments we have let loved ones down.  Instances we wish we could change, but can't.  Our failures.  Our regrets.  We start our day with a cup of coffee and pressing the PLAY button.  We just can't let it go.

I'm familiar with this.

PLAY STOP REWIND PLAY STOP REWIND PLAY

I stop living in the present.  I stop experiencing the 'now'.  Though, my body is in the present, my mind can't let go of the past. 

There has to be a point where I put the DVD player down.  And, really just choose not to pick it up at all.  When I start my day, I need to remind myself that yesterday was yesterday.  Today is today.  I have the choice to either press PLAY, or take my DVD and give it to the One who is able to fill my mind with LIFE, release me from the past, and free me to experience the now!

Comments

Popular Posts