Where Is My Head? Where Are My Feet?
Some days I feel like a superhero with Jesus. Strong. Confident. Other days, I feel as confident as a snowflake trying to keep its shape in the noonday sun. I can feel my faith and my hope rapidly melting inside me!
So what gives? (as they say) What am I doing differently on the strong days that I'm not doing on the 'melting' days? Two things. 1) I'm watching where my head is 2) I'm watching where my feet are. Yep. It's all about the head and the feet.
Where is my head? Meaning, where are my thoughts focused? Where are my eyes looking? What is my perspective? Am I keeping my head out of the storm of doubt? Or am I entertaining thoughts that only bring me down? Am I like Peter who was walking with Jesus on the water one minute and the very next is about dead in the water? Where am I looking? Where is my head?
And where are my feet?
What am I leaning all my weight on?
We have a beautiful cat named Jennifurr. An orange tabby we adopted a few years ago from the SPCA. I watch her sometimes when she's 'making biscuits'... when she's kneading the surface of things that she is about to lay on. I watch as she gauges how solid the surface is and if she can trust it enough to lay her whole body weight on it and comfortably fall asleep. She doesn't just lay down on the first thing her paws touch. She is careful where she rests.
And that's the kind of care I need to take. Where am I placing my feet? What am I standing on? What am I putting all my weight on? Am I taking care to only lean on the solid Rock of Jesus? Or am I throwing myself onto surfaces that are shaky and uncertain, with no Jesus?
Where is my head? Where are my feet?
Two questions that will determine the kind of day I will have.
Two questions I must ask myself daily.
***
I hope not in things seen,
but in things unseen.
I trust not in what my hands can touch,
but in what my faith can reach.
I do not rest on the shifting sand,
but on the Rock who takes me UP
and lets me see the land!
So, why so downcast, oh my soul?
Put your hope in God!
For God never fails.
Remember all the stories from long ago.
Remember! Remember!
Remember, my soul!
Comments