Squirrel Invasion

 I got a good chuckle this morning reading a news article. The headline reads:

Squirrel Invasion Shuts Down Library

I had to read it twice. What is this? Exodus and the plagues or something? I thought to myself. I know this library. I used to take my kids to it almost weekly when they were younger. I don't click on articles too often, but I had to hear the scoop on this one. It just sounded nuts. (Hahaha. Sorry this is just begging for some good squirrel jokes.)


Basically, what happened was at least two squirrels, that they knew of, made their way into the library over Memorial Day weekend. "They 'wreaked havoc' on the children's area, chewing through a crayon box and computer cords and running around causing a mess." according to one official. "It's been a nightmare." She said she kept getting notifications of squirrel sightings throughout the library like 'A squirrel was cited in the magazine and fiction section.' And 'an additional squirrel sighting has happened. It ran from the circulation desk." 

I could not help but literally laugh out loud as I read this article. I know. I know. It is very serious. But it's also seriously funny reading it! It's just so absurd that it becomes laughable. I mean, what in the world?? haha!

It struck me, though, after finding the humor in it, how two little rogue rodents were able to bring down an entire facility -- for like DAYS! It became unsafe, unsanitary and unusable space all because of these two little guys having a heyday in a place they did not belong, were not welcome and were not invited! Hundreds, if not thousands, of people were affected directly and indirectly by it.

But I guess that's all it takes. Just a little bit of chaos creators is all that is needed to paralyze a perfectly functioning facility. It's a good picture for all of us who might forget this in life. It doesn't take much. It doesn't take much of the wrong thing. It makes me think of a few scriptures about the harmful effects of "little" things:

You must catch the troubling foxes, those sly little foxes that hinder our relationship. For they raid our budding vineyard of love to ruin what I’ve planted within you. Will you catch them and remove them for me? We will do it together. Song of Songs‬ ‭2‬:‭15‬ ‭TPT‬‬

“Why can’t you understand that I’m not talking about bread? So again I say, ‘Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.’” Then at last they understood that he wasn’t speaking about the yeast in bread, but about the deceptive teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees. Matthew‬ ‭16‬:‭11‬-‭12‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Both of these scripture address this exact point. It's the little foxes that ruin the vineyard. It the little bit of yeast that works through the whole dough. It's the little things in life. It's the little lies we are told from false teachings. It's the little compromises we make. It's the little thoughts we get in our heads, leading us astray. But that is how our enemy works. And that is often how sin works, too. We always look for them in the big stuff, but they often slyly slither in with the little, even unnoticed things -- unnoticed until we see the aftermath of its destruction, like squirrels that have run rampant in a library. 

So watch out! Catch the foxes! Watch out for the yeast! They are squirrels to us, squirrels that have no conscience not to harm.








photo credit: http://clipart-library.com/








Comments

Popular Posts