The Perfect Day

Whenever I first write the date,
I feel the song.
I rise. 
I inflate.
What joy in my heart that today's a new day!
I don't have to bring anything I wrestled with
from the hours of yesterday.

I start fresh like the first stroke on a painting.
Who knows what today will bring?
Who knows what God is thinking?

What do you have planned God, for little ol' me?
What are your thoughts, Lord? What's hiding up your sleeve??

I wrestle playfully for the answers with the Father of Lights
like a child who's insistent on knowing about their gifts on Christmas Eve night.
You tickle me! I laugh!
I tumble over Your lap!
I reach for the gift as you lift it above Your head.
It's the most wonderful feeling
because suddenly it's not about the gift -- 
it's about just being with You instead!
The gift is a bonus, the cherry on top of the cream.
For my true delight is in knowing 
that You are My Daddy 
and I'm Your little dream.
Today + You equals the perfect day for me,
no matter what You are planning,
no matter what's up Your sleeve.


Comments

Popular Posts