Promises Of Yesterday

Promises of Yesterday 
fly my way
OH where are you?
How I have longed for you to come!

I sit here waiting.
I'm wondering if you've forgotten. Did you get stuck somewhere? 
Did you think I stopped hoping? Did you take an intermission?

But I wait for you here, oh promises made to me
so long ago when I first believed.

I look for you in the open air. I look for you in secret.
I look for you in corners and cracks. I'm holding on, though I can't see it.

For the One who created you will not let me down.
He will see to it you arrive. He's a great Delivery Man!
I'm really not worried, though I appear a bit antsy.
Forgive me as I tap my foot, but you're such a long time in coming!

Oh wait! What is that?
I see something in the distance!
Could it be? Oh wow! Oh me!
Promise of Yesterday!
Did you finally find your way to me??
At first you look a little blurry,
but the closer you come, the more clearly I see!
Yes! Yes, you're coming toward me!
My eyes well up with tears.
It's the moment I've been waiting for --
the arrival of promises made long ago, even many years.

What joy I feel but not just for the promise.
He did what He said He'd do, 
and for that I'm filled with thankfulness.
I'm just so glad I stuck around,
otherwise I would have missed it. 
Thank you, Thank you Promise Maker
for helping me hold on
so I could be here, 
be here to witness it!



Comments

Popular Posts