Ask For the Moon

OK. I'm kind of ashamed to say it, but if I was absolutely honest about it, I'd admit to you that I would've ordered what I really wanted that night. I wouldn't of held back. But I did. Instead of looking to see what I really wanted to eat from the menu, I looked for the cheapest thing I could find. If only I knew in advance that My father would be announcing at the end of the meal that he was completely picking up the tab! He was happy to pay for whatever we had chosen from the menu. Ugh! What regret! Dad would have covered it. I should have gone BIG!

That night has become an illustration for me. If we think we are going on our dime with God, we'll always aim small. But if we go on God’s dime, we won't hold back because we know that our Dad is picking up the tab! We’ll go BIG because it's no expense to us. 

Some might worry, though, that they are taking advantage of God if they ask big. If that's the case, the Bible would say that. It would tell us to think in limited terms. But it doesn't. Never once does God ask us to think small and limited. Instead He says, come on! "Ask! Seek! Knock!” (Matthew 7:7) Did the blind man hold back in asking for his sight when Jesus walked by? He could have. But he didn't. He asked big and he asked boldly! Even shamelessly! Which makes me wonder...do we sometimes hold back because we are too prideful to ask? This blind man had no pride. Only a desperate need with a bold request. A big request. And what did Jesus do? He answered! 

My simple question today is this: Do we make our prayers small because we're not remembering that our Heavenly Dad is picking up the bill?



As Jesus approached Jericho, a blind beggar was sitting beside the road. When he heard the noise of a crowd going past, he asked what was happening. They told him that Jesus the Nazarene was going by. So he began shouting, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” 

“Be quiet!” the people in front yelled at him. 

But he only shouted louder, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” 

When Jesus heard him, he stopped and ordered that the man be brought to him. As the man came near, Jesus asked him, “What do you want me to do for you?” 

“Lord,” he said, “I want to see!” 

And Jesus said, “All right, receive your sight! Your faith has healed you.” Instantly the man could see, and he followed Jesus, praising God. And all who saw it praised God, too.

‭‭Luke‬ ‭18‬:‭35‬-‭43‬ ‭NLT‬‬
https://bible.com/bible/116/luk.18.35-43.NLT




photo credit: Mary McKevitt, Pinterest

Comments

Popular Posts