Love Lifts

"Love lift us up where we belong." That's the start of the chorus of a song that filled our radio waves in 1982. The song is called "Up Where We Belong" by Jennifer Warnes & Joe Cocker, and was featured in a movie called, "An Officer and a Gentlemen." 

I'll be honest with ya, I was a little too young to watch the movie but one thing I did know back then is how this song made me feel and how much I loved the sound of hope that filled the chorus:

Love lift us up where we belong
Where the eagles cryOn a mountain highLove lift us up where we belongFar from the world belowUp where the clear winds blow

Go here to take a listen:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e06iWT9vSlI



Though this song is not a Christian song, it echoes similar sentiments felt by people that we read about in the Bible. David, for example, had more than his fair share of troubles in life. But as we read about them, we see time and time again God was his Lifter. The lifter of his head. The One who lifted him up and out of the mire. The One who lifted his confidence and his hope. God, the essence of love, lifts. He is a Lifter. And David knew that first hand.

And just as God lifted David, so He lifts anyone who comes and calls on Him. He does not play favorites. He listens for those who call on His name and He rescues them! How encouraging to know that ALL PEOPLE have this opportunity given to them! Though none of us escape the world without trouble, none of us are also without a way out. We ALL have a Rescuer. 

So the question(s) for today is this: 

Are you stuck in the muck? Are you drowning in grief or anger or guilt? Are your sorrows swallowing you whole? 

Listen to me very closely: You have a Rescuer.

And He does not play games with the darkness. No. He will not join the swirl of confusion. Instead He reaches into our chaos and draws us OUT. He lifts. Love lifts. "Love lifts us up where we belong, where the eagles cry, on a mountain high. Love lifts us up where we belong, far from the world we know, where the clear winds blow."

You don't have to continue to live in the whirlpool of confusion, doubt, fear, anxiety, sadness, grief... Whatever it is, He is more than capable to rescue you! He is ready to lift you!







***

He reached down from heaven and rescued me; 
HE DREW ME OUT 
of deep waters.
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭18‬:‭16‬ ‭NLT‬‬

"David sang this song to the Lord on the day the Lord rescued him from all his enemies and from Saul. He sang: “The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. He is my refuge, my savior, the one who saves me from violence. I called on the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and he saved me from my enemies.

 “The waves of death overwhelmed me; floods of destruction swept over me. The grave wrapped its ropes around me; death laid a trap in my path. But in my distress I cried out to the Lord; yes, I cried to my God for help. He heard me from his sanctuary; my cry reached his ears. 

“Then the earth quaked and trembled. The foundations of the heavens shook; they quaked because of his anger. Smoke poured from his nostrils; fierce flames leaped from his mouth. Glowing coals blazed forth from him. He opened the heavens and came down; dark storm clouds were beneath his feet. Mounted on a mighty angelic being, he flew, soaring on the wings of the wind. He shrouded himself in darkness, veiling his approach with dense rain clouds. A great brightness shone around him, and burning coals blazed forth. The Lord thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded. He shot arrows and scattered his enemies; his lightning flashed, and they were confused. Then at the command of the Lord, at the blast of his breath, the bottom of the sea could be seen, and the foundations of the earth were laid bare.

 “He reached down from heaven and rescued me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemies, from those who hated me and were too strong for me. They attacked me at a moment when I was in distress, but the Lord supported me. He led me to a place of safety; he rescued me because he delights in me.””

‭‭2 Samuel‬ ‭22‬:‭1‬-‭20‬ ‭NLT‬‬
https://bible.com/bible/116/2sa.22.1-20.NLT



photo: freepik.com







Comments

Popular Posts