First Love

Every once and awhile, my husband and I have these moments together. Sometimes it happens at big events like weddings when we are on the dance floor moving to a slow ballad. Sometimes it happens in our kitchen on a random busy weekday. They're moments when time seems to stop and we both look at each other and say, "Ya know, I really love you. It's been a journey hasn't it? But here we are, still together, even after everything we walked through. I'm so glad we came together so many years ago. And if I were asked again, I'd still say yes! I am still fully committed to you."

I love those moments. I need those moments. We both do. We both need to be reminded that life together is not just about paying bills, raising kids, fixing a home, planning for the next thing... Yes life together is all of that, but not only that. And it's certainly not about two roommates just 'making it work.' It's about two people who take those everyday mundane things and weave it with something called Love. Then suddenly, the everyday things don't seem so 'everyday.' They are then filled with laughter and joy and an ever-building collection of life memories together. 

As I sit here feeling mushy about my hubby right now, I'm reminded that there is another Love in my life that I often have moments with. Who knew that loving God could feel the same way? Certainly not me. At least not before I was 18 years old. It was then that God removed the veil from my eyes and I saw Him. No, not saw Him with my natural eyes, but my heart saw Him! It was truly love at first sight and I have never been the same since. 

But it's funny how a love relationship with God, like a marriage, can get jaded with the wear and tear of life. Busyness can move us away from being a lover of God to just a doer for God, if we're not careful. And the trials of life can tempt us to think that God has abandoned us or hardly even cares. We wrestle and fight with those thoughts, hoping that they really aren't true... right, God?

But then we have a moment. A moment with Him.

Like the moments my husband and I have on the dance floor or in the kitchen. The moments where I look at Him again in a fresh way and say, "Ya know, I really love you. It's been a journey hasn't it? But here we are, still together, even after everything we walked through. I'm so glad we came together so many years ago. And if I were asked again, I'd still say yes! I am still fully committed to you."

Comments

Popular Posts