The Overflow

My cup overflows. Psalm 23:5



In the Kingdom Jesus always has His eyes on us but also on
others, too. When Jesus called His disciples, He called them one by one, by name. It was personal. It was special. And with the invitation came a love mission for them. A love mission to share what they were given with the world. An invitation to join the Father's mission to reach those who did not know pure love yet.

We see throughout the Gospels that Jesus never stopped thinking about the ones who were lost. The ones who didn't have. The one little sheep that wandered away from the herd of 99. But ya know what, as a parent, that makes sense to me. If one of my kids went missing, my whole life would be consumed with finding them. It wouldn't mean I would love my other kids any less. But, how can any loving parent not be consumed with finding their lost child? I'm sure I would even recruit my other kids to get involved in the mission.

***

Psalm 23:5 says, "My cup overflows." For a long time I read that verse kinda selfishly. haha. I was like, "Look at all I have!" Yes, absolutely. God doesn't hold back! He provides in abundance. But, how can I drink what pours out of my cup? I can't. What overflows from my cup is meant to find its way into the laps of people who are thirsty, too. What is in the cup is for me. The overflow is for others. I'll say it again.

What is in the cup is for me. 
The overflow is for others.

Yes, others. But on the flip side, what is in my cup is for me. This part speaks of healthy boundaries. No one can take what God puts in your cup or dip into your portion illegally. What is in your cup is yours. And it never runs dry! hahaha!

***
Now, what does this have to do with the Gospels and the lost sheep? Everything. God POURS into us. He lavishes His love on us. And gives us a heart to love what He loves. And what does He love? People. He loves people. And, in essence, He says, "Let Me be your Good Shepherd. I will take care of you. I will lead you into meadows and let you rest beside streams. I'll restore you, protect you. And while we are in fellowship, I will do the most amazing thing. I will feed you and give you plenty to drink...so much so that it will come spilling out of your life onto others -- to the very ones I am still looking for. Drink all you want from your cup and let the overflow refresh My people.”


The LORD is my Shepherd [to feed, to guide and to shield me], [Ezek 34:11-31] I shall not want. He lets me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still and quiet waters. [Rev 7:17] He refreshes and restores my soul (life); He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. ¶Even though I walk through the [sunless] valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod [to protect] and Your staff [to guide], they comfort and console me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You have anointed and refreshed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy and unfailing love shall follow me all the days of my life, And I shall dwell forever [throughout all my days] in the house and in the presence of the LORD.
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭23‬:‭1‬-‭6‬ ‭AMP‬‬


Now all the tax collectors and sinners [including non-observant Jews] were coming near Jesus to listen to Him. Both the Pharisees and the scribes began muttering and complaining, saying, “This man accepts and welcomes sinners and eats with them.” So He told them this parable: “What man among you, if he has a hundred sheep and loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one which is lost, [searching] until he finds it? [Matt 18:12-14] And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he gets home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, because I have found my lost sheep!’ I tell you, in the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭15‬:‭1‬-‭7‬ ‭AMP‬‬




Photo: copilot 

















Comments

Popular Posts