Where Did The Time Go?

Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered— how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath. We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it. And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you.

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭39:4-7‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/psa.39.4-7.nlt

I hear it all the time. I say it all time. With every passing season I say, "Where did the summer go?" or "I can't believe the holidays are right around the corner. Didn't we just take down our Christmas tree?" Time just flies by, especially the older you get. When I was a kid, Christmas took forever to come around. Now, it whips around so fast that some people don't even bother taking down their outside lights because they know they'll just be out there putting them back up in a blink of an eye! 

It's funny, because we know time isn't actually moving faster. It's just our perception has changed. We become more aware of our fleeting days with each passing year. It makes me wonder if in it, God is actually helping us see the reality of Time verses Eternity. He's giving us eyes to see how short our lives really are - a breath, a moment, as long as the 'width of my hand'. He's showing us that this life is just a blip on the radar compared to the life we will live outside this temporary existence. 

And with that knowledge, it can make us re-evaluate how we spend our time, energy, and money. It makes us ask ourselves, "Am I thinking only of this life on earth that is merely a vapor? Or am I also considering my eternal life? Am I storing up my treasure here on earth - treasure that I can't take with me when I leave this earth? Or am I storing up my treasure in heaven where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves can not break in and steal? (Matthew 6:20) Am I living with proper perspective that earthly life is short and eternal life is long?"

Our life on earth can be compared to a baby in a womb. It's just a temporary starting place for all of us. A baby lives there for a short 9 months and then comes into the real world. In the same way, this life we live on earth is just our starting point and a temporary home. Then we come into the Real World.

Are you living with proper perspective?

Comments

Popular Posts