The Pulse of Peace

Sometimes my mother says the funniest things. They're funny because they're true. She'll make great observations about people, like the time she said, "This guy doesn't know how to slow down and enjoy life. He runs like the devil's chasing him." I had to laugh because she was right. He's the king of hard work, but the pauper of Rest. And then I realized that I can be the same way! The drive to do, do, do can practically push me from the time I get up until the time I go to bed. Not that being productive is bad. Productivity is great! What's bad is when it's fueled and pushed by our not-so-nice 'friends': Anxiety and Restlessness. These are the two guys that I deal with the most.

But when you read the Gospels, and watch the life of Jesus unfold, you see a different kind of person. It's interesting to watch Jesus in action. We never see Him entering a scene in some sort of hysterical panic. We never get the sense that He's feeling out of control or grasping for His footing. Never once do we hear about how He anxiously responded to a situation. Remarkable! He obviously walked to the beat of a different drum; a drum that sounded the pulse of Peace.


Colossians 3:15 tells us, "And let the peace that comes from Christ 
rule in your hearts." 



and Isaiah 9:6 tells us that Jesus is the Prince of Peace.

As I think on all these things, I can hear God saying, "Hey, don't let anything but PEACE govern you. Anxiety is not your King. And you're not obligated to submit to Restlessness, either. EVEN IF they have been around your whole life and they have made you think they own you, THEY DON'T. You have eaten their bread for way too long. From now on, you are free to choose Peace, and you are welcome to join me as I walk to the rhythm of it."

Comments

Popular Posts