A Leftover

Gym class was never one of my favorite classes in school. I tolerated it, but I wasn't fond of it. I didn't like that I had to bring an extra pair of shoes (my sneakers) to school just for one class. I didn't like that I had to change my clothes in the middle of the school day amongst my peers, whom I was already insecure around. And I really didn't like how teams were established for games we'd play in class. The teacher would pick two students to be the team captains and then those captains would take turns picking which kids they wanted on their team. It was so predictable. The first to be picked were the 'popular' kids, along with the most athletic ones. Once those top picks were chosen, it really didn't matter who they selected for their team. The captains just tried their hardest to pick through the best of the 'leftovers'.

I wish I could tell you that I was one of the popular kids. I was not. I wish I could tell you I was a strong athlete and would therefore be a coveted choice. I was not. No, I didn't fall into the popular or athletic category. I fell amongst the 'leftovers'. How embarrassing it was to be standing there, the entire class looking at the last two or three kids that hadn't been chosen. It was like we were on display for all to see who was the least favored. Just in case there were any questions among us who was the least popular, it was now confirmed. I sigh, even now, 30 years later.


But, it seems, God's way of choosing His team players is quite upside-down from ours, and His perception is much different. 


Remember, dear brothers and sisters, that few of you were wise in the world’s eyes or powerful or wealthy when God called you. Instead, God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful. God chose things despised by the world, things counted as nothing at all, and used them to bring to nothing what the world considers important. 


What? Is God not in His right mind?? Doesn't He know how this works? If you're gonna have a winning team, you've got to pick some strong people, God! Go for the popular! Go for the strong! Go for the ones that can guarantee your success! But, no. He couldn't be less interested.  

See, He doesn't see people the way we see people. We look on the outward appearance. We judge with our natural eyes. God, however, looks far beyond the outside and sees our hearts. And He's looking not to see who is capable, but rather who is willing - willing to be a vessel for Him. For, God knows the Victory is not found in the strength of man. Victory is found in Jesus. 

So His eyes look to and fro on the earth. "Whom shall I send?" He says. "Shall I pick the popular? Shall I pick the 'wise'? Shall I pick the 'powerful'? 

And then we catch His eye like a diamond in the dirt. The one that says, "I don’t have much to offer. I'm just a 'leftover'. But, still, I am willing. And I will go, Lord, if you take me there."


And with excitement He shouts, "I CHOOSE YOU!"

***


Remember, dear brothers and sisters, that few of you were wise in the world’s eyes or powerful or wealthy when God called you. Instead, God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful. God chose things despised by the world, things counted as nothing at all, and used them to bring to nothing what the world considers important. As a result, no one can ever boast in the presence of God. God has united you with Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made him to be wisdom itself. Christ made us right with God; he made us pure and holy, and he freed us from sin. Therefore, as the Scriptures say, “If you want to boast, boast only about the Lord.”


‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭1:26-31‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/1co.1.26-31.nlt


Comments

Popular Posts