Keep What Matters Most

Go back to what you heard and believed at first; hold to it firmly. Repent and turn to me again. If you don’t wake up, I will come to you suddenly, as unexpected as a thief...I am coming soon. 
Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take away your crown.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭3:3, 11‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/rev.3.3,11.nlt

Over the years, I have cleaned out my house several times. It's amazing how many unwanted or unnecessary items build up. Toys. Clothes. Books. I have to sort through things at least once a year to keep things from getting overly cluttered. But, no matter how many times I clean out the house, there are some things I will never consider tossing. Things like birth certificates, social security cards, my wedding photos, and videos of the kids, always make the cut. Though I want to be clutter free, I don't lose all my common sense. I continue to hold on to what is most important. 

Jesus tells His Church, His Bride, to do the same. We can over complicate things in this Christian life and make it harder than it really is. We fill our 'house' with various teachings and doctrines and allow it to accumulate within us. We get so 'in our head' over stuff that we start losing our grasp on our Basic Foundation - Him. When this happens, we need to go back and reassess what we've put in our 'house'. We need to pull out the things we've allowed to live in our 'home', and throw off all that hinders - keeping only what is most important. 

Things like the Cross and forgiveness through His Blood should never leave our 'house'. It is our Firm Foundation. Our First Love for Him should not only stay, but be a centerpiece in our 'home'. And loving others and doing Good should never be put out on the curb for trash. The things that are important to God, stay important to us. 

So, no matter what comes and goes, we must be sure to never toss that which means the most and what is actually holding our 'house' together: Jesus, Himself.


Comments

Popular Posts