Among The Undergarments

You just never know when and where the Miracle of Life is ready to take place. I don't mean just natural birth. I mean the kind of birth Jesus talked about when He said "Unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." (John 3:3) Like natural birth, it can happen in the most unexpected places and at the most unexpected times. Today, it happened to be in a lingerie store. Was I consciously thinking about the Gospel as I sorted through the drawer of merchandise? Can't really say I was. But I was about to.

An employee of the store started stocking more merchandise next to me and we struck up a friendly conversation about the assortment to choose from. We both laughed about the merchandise, when the conversation suddenly went from undergarments to Salvation. She made a reference about God and I said, "Oh, are you a Christian?" And to my surprise, she answered, "I'm right on the edge of becoming one. I'm trying to decide." My eyes must have looked like they were about to pop out. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I knew then that I was in that store for more than just some 'girl shopping'. This gal needed some encouragement to step into the Light! 


She explained to me that she was trying to decide whether she wanted to stay with her religion or become a Christian. So I told her, "All religion is people trying to get to God. Christianity is God already coming to us and inviting us to get close to Him." Because of the religion she was in, she already knew about the sacrifice of Jesus. So I told her, just take what you know and make it personal. Ask God to forgive YOUR sins. Give Him YOUR heart. But she wondered if it was too late for her to come to Him. I said, "Absolutely not! It's only too late if when you die, you haven't repented of your sins."  She was so relieved to hear that.

"Hey, you know, I would be happy to pray for you right now if you want to become a Christian right here." I said.


"Would you?" she said with the sound of relief in her voice. It was as if she was just waiting for someone to take her hand and walk her to where Jesus could be found. I was thrilled and honored to do so.


We walked toward the back of the dressing rooms and there in that quiet moment, in that small hallway, on August 6, 2017, she gave her heart to the Lord. She said, "I believe in you Jesus. Forgive me of my sins. Thank you for forgiving me. Come into my heart. I want you to live in me and I want to live my life with you and for you. And thank you that one day I will be in heaven!"


I was so filled with Joy after we prayed that I couldn't stop jumping up and down and hugging her like she had been my friend for years. (I still wonder what the people using the dressing rooms made of everything they were hearing!)


She said, "Wow! I can't believe how I feel. I feel like all this weight just fell off of me!  Thank you so much! It's like you were sent here to talk to me. You have no idea what has been going on in my life and how perfect this timing is!"


"I believe it!" I said. "God has done amazing things in my life, too!"


I gave her my name and phone number and the name of the church I attend. I encouraged her to read the Bible and start understanding the Word of God. I know all of Heaven was exploding in celebration as she went back to work and I went back to shopping. Oh, to see the unseen at that moment!


Today was a reminder to me that God is always on the move and always drawing hearts. And the harvest is certainly plentiful! More people are looking for Him than we may realize. But they may not want to walk through our church doors or even know what door to walk through to find the Answer, the Truth. But thankfully, the Church can walk into their world and deliver the Message they are just waiting to hear - even if it's among the undergarments. 

Comments

Popular Posts