Where The Rubber Meets The Road

My car manual promises it.  If I'm ever in an accident, my air bags are going to activate.  A comforting statement.  But, it's not like I'm going to go test them out on my own.  In faith, I believe that it will do what it says it will do when I need them most.  That when life happens, I won't find out at that point that the manual lied to me. 

God's Word is full of promises... "I'll never leave you nor forsake you";  "I've loved you with an everlasting Love"; "I lift up my eyes to the hills -- where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.  He will not let your foot slip -- he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.  The Lord watches over you -- the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.  The Lord will keep you from all harm -- he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore."

That's a whole lot of good stuff.  A whole lot of comforting statements.  But, just like my car manual, what's most important to me is that it's not just a bunch of feel-good sentiments.  That where the rubber meets the road, my spiritual airbags are going to meet me where I'm at.  I need to know that everything I know to be true about God is going to come into play in real life.  That even if everything explodes around me, even if all else is unstable, I can look and find Him still standing there over me -- His promises still as solid as ever.  I need to know that He is who He says He is -- who His 'Manual' describes Him to be. 

The thing is, though, it's not a question on His end.  God Does Not Lie.  Period.  So, if life happens (and it does!) God will stick to His guns.  He's not a fair-weather friend that gets nervous when trials come.  He does not change like shifting shadows.  His moods don't swing like ours do.  His opinion of us never changes. 

So, even more than I trust my airbags, I can trust God.  In faith, I travel through life knowing that where the rubber meets the road, His promises are not just words on a page, but they are alive, true and real


Comments

Popular Posts