The Boy Who Tried

There once was a boy
who was told to behave.
"Just follow the rules and you'll be okay."

So he tried and tried
but only kept just a few,
though he worked hard and watched his Ps & his Qs.

"What's wrong with me?" he thought, 
when his goals were not achieved.
"I'll never be okay if I can't meet them to a T."


Then one day, as he saw his reflection,
he noticed the abundance of his imperfections.
"How can I make myself perfect just by following the rules?
It'll take more than that to change this heart of a fool."

So he opened the Good Book and took another peek.
"OH, I never noticed this! This one important thing!
He pointed to the place that talks of mercy and grace.
He read again the story of the One who took His place.

Forgiveness and acceptance flowed from the pages to his heart.
And for the first time ever he understood.
And for the first time ever he took a knee as he should.

His prayer was sincere. His prayer was so honest.
"God, I am imperfect and I need what You promised!
I need deep forgiveness. I need you to help me. 
I trust you! Oh come Lord, come close and cleanse me!"

And as soon as he said it, the most marvelous thing happened!
He felt all the weight fall off like a dead person.
He was suddenly new! He was suddenly free!
And he saw for the first time what Jesus did for the many!

Then he paused for a moment and said to himself,
"It's not the rules that make us good! I can never fix myself!"

Yes, the boy understood then that rules tell wrong from right.
But it's Mercy that saves us. Only He can forgive. 
And only He can make us perfect and blameless in His sight.



Comments

Popular Posts