My Personal Testimony

28 years ago today I met Jesus. No I didn’t go to heaven. Lol But my encounter with Him that day was just as real. 

I was at a pretty low place in my heart. I remember crying for three days straight and not even really knowing why. It was uncontrollable. All my bottled emotions were coming out all at once. 

Then on the third day of crying, as I was driving down the street, I heard the Holy Spirit say “Go to church.” (I just didn’t know at the time that it was the Holy Spirit saying that to me.)

It was the middle of the day in the middle of the week. I was surprised to find that the church building was open. No one was there so I was able to walk around freely and take in all the Christian symbols that I was so used to looking at my whole life. Strangely though, this time they were hitting me in a more personal way. For the first time I thought to myself, “Gosh, Jesus sure went through a lot by dying on the cross for me.” I had no idea in that moment that my life was about to completely change in an instant.

It’s hard to describe the experience with words, only to say that it felt like a veil was pulled from my eyes (my spiritual eyes) and I truly understood for the first time that Jesus is absolutely real. He’s not a myth or a fairytale. HE. IS. REAL. 

I fell to my knees and wept. But this time my tears were not of sorrow but of cleansing and healing and forgiveness. 

“How have I looked at you my whole life but never saw You?” I said to Him.  

I understood for the first time what the writer of the song Amazing Grace meant when he wrote “I was blind but now I SEE.”

I remember going home that day and thinking, “I don’t feel as heavy in my heart. I feel like weights have fallen off of me.”

I knew something radically changed inside of me. What I was experiencing was what Jesus called being born again. He came into my heart that day. He came into my life because He loves me and wants a real relationship and friendship with me. 

And I’m telling you today, even after 28 years, it’s the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Thank you Jesus for amazing grace!

Comments

Popular Posts