Gambling My Life Away

“One day as Jesus was walking along the shore of the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers—Simon, also called Peter, and Andrew—throwing a net into the water, for they fished for a living. Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!” And they left their nets at once and followed him. A little farther up the shore he saw two other brothers, James and John, sitting in a boat with their father, Zebedee, repairing their nets. And he called them to come, too. They immediately followed him, leaving the boat and their father behind."

Matthew 4:18-22 NLT  http://bible.com/116/mat.4.18-22.nlt


I've noticed something about myself. The older I get, the less risks I'm willing to take. In any given scenario, if there is a safe option, you can guarantee to find me there. I think before I act. No, actually, I OVER-think before I act. I consider everything that could possibly go wrong, and if I conclude that there is one iota of risk involved, I will shrink back.

Jesus didn't seem to have a problem with risk taking though, and in fact, encouraged others to take risks as well. He made bold statements like, "Follow Me". Two small words that really meant "Risk it all. Leave all of it and come with me." 

Whoa! Really Jesus? If I was one of those fisherman, I'm not sure how quick I'd drop my net. I might say, "Let me weigh my options. Let me consider what I'm gambling away here. Does He even realize what He's saying?"

So why would Jesus even present such a risky option? Because He knew that it really was no risk at all. He knew that He was offering the fisherman far more of a life than what they were living. He knew they actually had nothing to lose and absolutely everything to gain.  

Consider the 2 year old that is holding 3 pennies. His grandfather has a $100 bill that he'd like to give him but the child's hands are full. The only way the grandfather can give him the greater amount is to ask his grandson to put down his pennies. The child may see it as a huge risk, but the grandfather knows it's the wisest move the child will ever make.

Jesus always has our best in mind. In fact, He's more concerned about our best than even we are. But He asks us to 'risk it all'. Following Him and fully putting all our trust in Him, though, is like putting all our chips on one number and knowing we are guaranteed winners!




Comments

Popular Posts