Tastes Like Chocolate

When I was pregnant with my first daughter, my husband used to talk to my belly.  Then, he'd pull out his guitar and sing to my belly.  Then, he would get real close and whisper to my belly.  We would smile and laugh about it, but what he was doing was something so very precious.  He was beginning a life-long relationship with his child.  And, he was using something that was unique to him -- his voice. 

When she was born and the doctors laid her down, my husband walked over to her and called her by name.  Immediately, she responded and turned her head in his direction.  She was finally able to meet the person behind the voice she had been hearing her whole life.  She knew it in an instant.

Our Daddy's Voice is unique.  It's a 'sound' like no other.  And, the more we hear it, the more we learn what it sounds like.  He speaks to us as we read His Word.  He sings over us as we walk through our day.  He gently whispers and nudges us -- and we'll hear it if we are listening closely.  The more we position ourselves to listen to it and for it, the more familiar we become with it.  I remember when I was a child, I could be in a crowded, noisy department store.  But, if I heard my mother calling for me, I could pick it out immediately and respond to it.  A child knows its parent's voice.

My youngest daughter asked me once, "Mommy how do you know it's God's Voice."

To simplify it the best way I could, I told her this... 

"If I were to blindfold you and have you taste a piece of chocolate, even if you didn't see the chocolate, would you know it was chocolate?"

"Yes." she said.

"It's like that with God."  I said.  "If you 'taste' Him enough, you always know when it's Him."

Comments

Popular Posts