A Remedy Called Thanks

Every night, my husband asks each of us in the family one question. It’s a question that makes us stop and think.

"What are you thankful for?" 

I have to be honest. There are some nights that thankfulness is the last thing on my mind. I'm stressed. I'm exhausted. I'm irritated. But it never fails...recalling all the Good becomes as refreshing to me as cool water on a burn. Gratefulness has a way of clearing my head and giving me perspective. And surprisingly, it turns out to be the very remedy I needed. 

There is a phrase that has been swirling around my mind lately: We only have what God gives us. If we complain or covet, we are, in essence, saying to God, "You're not doing a good job taking care of me." If we lack, we should ask God, but all the while remain thankful and content with what the Lord has already given us. We keep the attitude that He is Good and gives us what we need. And if we don't have it yet, we either don't need it or we should wait patiently for Him to give it. 

You have probably heard the illustration of the pessimist and the optimist. The pessimist looks at a glass and complains it's half empty. The optimist is thrilled that it's half full. It's the same idea when it comes to our gratitude toward God. We can look at what He has given us and shake our fists that our glass is only half full. OR we can rejoice when we think of all that He has given us and overflow with thankfulness that God would be so kind to give us a glass that has so much in it! And just a side note... God does not hold Himself back from us when we seek Him. When it comes to spiritual blessings, our cup OVERFLOWS. So if we have nothing in this life, but have Jesus, we are still richer than royalty and have great reason to give thanks! 

So, if you are having a lousy day, or week...or decade!, here's a phrase that may help… 
A better day is just a THANKS away.

It's hard to be miserable while you’re counting all your blessings. The mud of negativity is washed away by our gratitude. 

Comments

Popular Posts