Shake Me Awake

My husband and I will watch a little television each night. He'll watch with his eyes open, I'll watch through my eyelids. Haha, yes, I typically fall asleep on the sofa. When the show is off, he shuts it all down and proceeds with his nightly routine of the impossible task of waking me up to go to bed. He starts off with saying my name over and over. But I won't respond. Then he'll pat me on the shoulder. Still no response. Then he'll nudge me a little harder and say my name louder. He may, at this point, get me to open my eyes half way and mumble something ridiculous, but I'm still pretty much unconscious. He realizes at this point that he either needs to leave me on the sofa (which he knows I don't want to do because I'll get a better night's sleep in my bed), or try more drastic measures. So he begins the shaking method. With his hand on my arm, he will begin to gently shake me until I finally come to. Apparently, I respond faster some nights more than others. But he tells me there are nights that he seems to shake me until he's weary of it! Poor guy. I do appreciate his efforts, though, because in the end it's for my benefit.  

I think God follows the "Shake Me Awake" method, too. He looks upon hearts that are not Awake in Him and begins to arouse them. He may say their name and pat them to try to get their attention and wake them up in Him. But when they don't respond, the Shaking begins. The Shaking is not to be cruel to them. No, it's from His deep Love for them, knowing that they are missing all the Good He has to offer. 

He may use our trials to wake us up. He may use natural disasters. He may use ... well ANYTHING to shake us awake! And He knows some won't respond to Him unless they are shaken right to the very core of their being! 

BUT! once they are Awake, they all have one common response: THANKFULNESS. They are so thankful that God cared enough to not leave them lying there, but did all He could do to get their attention and be Awake in His Presence. They know, and even proclaim, that the Shaking was for their benefit! Thank you, thank you God for the Shaking! 

Comments

Popular Posts