Caught Off Guard

I love having company. But I must admit, I don't love unexpected ones. Unannounced visitors send me into a bit of a panic. It's not because I don't want to see them. I love that they have come by! I just don't like feeling unprepared. I want to open my door and feel confident about letting them in. I want to at least get the laundry off the sofa and the dirty dishes taken care of. I'd like to clean the dog hair off the furniture so they have some place comfortable to sit. And I'd love to even have a light refreshment ready to offer them. 

It reminds me of some old-fashion hospitality advice: Always be ready to serve. In other words, be in the mindset that your home is always open to anyone - announced or unannounced. I know some folks actually keep sweets and specialty drinks in the house for just that purpose. Taking in unexpected visitors is a lot easier when you have thought ahead for such an occasion and prepared for it.

There's one Visitor we should always be ready for...

Jesus said, "...You also must be ready all the time, for the Son of Man will come when least expected.
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭24:44‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/mat.24.44.nlt

In this passage, He's actually talking about a thief coming and breaking into your house. That's an unexpected and unwanted visitor! But the point He is making is this: Be ready. Have your 'house' (your life, your heart) ready for when He comes back. Don't be the one unprepared for His coming. Don't be the one answering the door and shocked to see that He's standing there. 

BE  READY

Be so ready that you actually live your life expecting Him at any moment. Keep your 'home' in order, ready for His appearing. (Repent of your sin. Be in relationship with Jesus. Believe in Him, alone.) Fill it with the Love of God.(Be about the Father's business and never stop doing good, loving others with the Love of God.) Be looking out the window for Him, knowing that it's not a possibility that He's going to drop by, but a definite. 


Be wise, my friend.
Don't be the one caught off guard. 




Comments

Popular Posts