What If Christmas Doesn't Happen?

She had a nervous look on her face.  The look that comes from doubt. 

"I'm nervous about Christmas, mommy." she said. 

"Nervous? Why?" I asked.

"I'm nervous it won't be what it should be."

I knew right away what she was referring to. She was anxious that the gift she really wanted wouldn't be there on Christmas morning. She was having a hard time trusting that my husband and I were going to remember her request and make it happen on the 25th. It was out of her control to do it herself.  She was forced to trust us - and in that she was having much difficulty.

***

I understand her anxiety.  I'm very familiar with this sort of doubt and lack of trust.  It's how I can feel in my relationship with God sometimes. What if He doesn't come through?  What if all my expectation is for nothing? Will He let me down? Will I be disappointed? Can I fully trust that He will do what He said He will do? Can I trust that He will 'deliver' on 'Christmas'? I find myself saying to God what my daughter said to me: "I'm nervous..."

But then I stop and think. What exactly am I nervous about?  Let's list it out and see what God has to say on the matter.

1) Am I nervous He isn't competent?

Well, if God can't do it, no one can. 
"...with God everything is possible” (Matthew 19:26 NLT).
"For no word from God will ever fail” (Luke 1:37 NIV).


2) Am I nervous He doesn't hear me?
"...he hears the prayer of the righteous" (Proverbs 15:29 NIV).


3) Am I nervous He doesn't care?
"Cast all your anxiety on him because HE CARES FOR YOU" (1 Peter 5:7 NIV).


4) Am I nervous He's not really a Good Father?
"The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love. The Lord is GOOD to all; he has compassion on all he has made (Psalm 145:8-9 NIV).


5) Am I nervous He isn't being truthful with me?
"God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?" (Number 23:19 NIV)


It's easy for me to let doubt be the voice that rules my thinking. But doubt will always say the opposite of what is really true. Doubt distorts, giving me a false reality. But the Word of God is a sharp sword that can slash through the lies. It always brings me back to my senses and removes the fog so I can clearly see what it really true.

Oh, in case you're wondering... my daughter had a wonderful Christmas. We delivered on our promises to her - each and every one of them.



Comments

Popular Posts