Ferris Wheel Faith

My first memory of riding on a ferris wheel is a terrifying one. I must have been less than 10 years old and not ready for such an experience. Though I remember the view was amazing, I couldn't relax enough to enjoy any of it. I was like a deer in headlights, frozen with fear. I wanted so much for the ride to just stop and let us out. I desperately wanted the wind to stop rocking our cart. And more than anything, I just wanted to gain a sense of control in the situation. But I knew I had no control over any of it. All I could do was slide down off my seat and sit on the floor of the cart we were in and hope the ride stopped sooner than later.

Well, fast forward about 30 years and the ride I'd been avoiding for so long came back to haunt me when my kids begged me to go on one with them during a family vacation. I realized then how much I must love them because I actually agreed. I wish I could say I was cool and collected. Ha! No such thing. The same feelings came back again as I held on for dear life and begged my family not to rock the cart! I couldn't wait to get off. But as soon as we got off, my kids begged to go back on again! (Did they want to kill their mother??) Like the sucker I am, I went again. But this time, I tried to talk myself down from my panicked state and told myself that if I had made it through last time, I would surely make it through another time. The ride had proven itself to me, so I thought to myself, “Hey, maybe I should try to enjoy it like everyone else seems to be enjoying it.” Surprisingly, it worked. The more I trusted, the more I rested. And the more I rested, the more I was able to enjoy the ride, the view, and the people who were with me. 


In my walk with God, I have come to learn that He loves to ride Ferris Wheels with us, too. I don't mean the ones at amusement parks. I mean the Ferris Wheels in life that build your faith. The kind that pulls you up and away from any kind of control you think you have in this world. The kind that makes you trust the Cart you're sitting in and the Operator that's running it. The kind of Ferris Wheels that give you magnificent views, if you could just learn to relax in the moment to take it all in. The kind that remind you of how small you really are in this grand universe, and yet completely loved and cared for in the Cart that carries you safely along. The kind of Ferris Wheels that are meant to ultimately be fun. Yes, Fun! And the more you ride them, the more you learn to Trust and Rest. And more you Trust and Rest, the more you're able to enjoy the ride, the view, and the people with you.


Comments

Popular Posts