Rock Solid

When I was younger, I used to love the sensation of standing in the lake and feeling the wet sand between my toes.  Though at first it held my weight up, I would purposefully stand there knowing that it wouldn't be long before I would start to feel myself sink into the sand.  I played the game knowing that the sand was a false sense of security and I had better not linger there too long.
 
I also loved, though, swimming out into the lake and climbing up onto the big rocks that protruded out from the water like an island.  My sister and I would swim out to it, climb on and rest there in the sun.  We knew we could trust the rock to hold us.  It was a true sense of security.
 
It's an old analogy, but one that still stands firm.  Jesus is the only Rock we can trust and find True Security in.  I can't tell you how many mornings I wake up feeling insecure.  I feel shaky about my relationship with God which consequently makes everything else feel unsure as well.  I realize in those moments that I have been putting my trust in things that are built on sand. 
 
When I realize this, I say to myself, "Well, of course, you're going to feel shaky, Valerie!  Those things are built on sinking sand!  You're feeling shaky because you're feeling the sand shift under you.  Inevitably, if you stay there long enough you'll surely sink!"
 
It's then that I shift my thinking to what I know is true and begin to pray.  And just as faithful as the sun rises, I feel His Presence again and He reminds me that He is the immovable Rock.  What can shake me when I am so secure in His Love? 
 
On Christ the Solid Rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
 

 
 

Comments

Popular Posts