The Bird House

She would watch Him, always aware of His presence in the house. Like a puppy wanting to follow his master, she would track His moves from the kitchen to the living room and then back again. Her eyes were like a pendulum on a clock as He moved across the floor. She didn't want to miss a thing.

"What will Daddy be doing next?" she thought. He was always up to something. He neither slumbered nor slept, so her curiosity was ever stoked.

She watched as He picked up the hammer and headed for the back door. Her heart skipped a beat and in moments she was on her feet and following in His footsteps out the door and down the old wooden steps.

"Where are you going now, Daddy?" she questioned, almost tripping over His feet. "Is this going to be another adventure day?"

He turned to her and grinned, "Everyday is an adventure day, darling. Come, let me show you what I have going on today."

Oh, how He loved how she followed. He could always count on her to be the one that went with Him. And He knew she wasn't just after the adventure. He knew she simply wanted to stay close to the One that rescued her. He knew she had not lost her gratitude. She never forgot how He grafted her in, making her adoption official and calling her His own. No, she never forgot, which made her affection for her Father grow exponentially. 

"Today, we are going to build a bird house." Father told her. 

He handed her the hammer as He picked up a small piece of wood. 

"Here, you hold the wood and I'll swing the hammer."

And there they spent the afternoon - joking, laughing, telling stories and building a bird house together. 

"Daddy," she said to Him. "There's really no place I'd rather be than with You."

"And there's no place I'd rather be, my sweet." He responded with a smile big enough to melt even the hardest hearts. "You know...I knew you would follow me today, which is why I chose this project. Do you know that when I found you, you were like an injured bird?"

She looked down and away. "I know. I remember my affliction and my wandering..."

He took her hand, "Yes, I know you do. But you soon found out that life was not over and that I had a grander Plan in mind for you. But you first needed rest and healing. So, I carried you, like a broken bird, in my own Hands and cared for you Myself. I did not give this job to anyone else. I AM the one who took responsibility for your health and recovery.

Tears filled her eyes as He retold the story. "You are such an amazing Dad,” she said. 

"And now, my darling, I am including you in my other rescue missions. The bird house we are building today is no ordinary bird house. This one will be for all the wounded birds that we find together. We will bring them here and they will find their wings and find their voice again - just as you have found yours."

He pulled her in close, giving her a hug that brought peace to every cell in her body. She looked at Him and smiled saying, "Let's do it, Daddy. Let's build this special bird house and find the wounded birds.”

Comments

Popular Posts