But As For Me

I could spend an afternoon watching the ocean waves come in. I especially love pulling up my beach chair enough to get my feet wet, to watch and feel the tide wash over my feet and the sandy beach below me. It's fascinating to see how each new wave creates a different picture in the sand every time. Sometimes the sandy canvas is just a string of seaweed. Often times, it's a display of various seashells. And occasionally, a jelly fish or crab becomes visible. You just never know what the tide will bring in and how it will change the landscape of the beach. 

It's interesting to observe, as well, that what is not moved by the waves that break over the beach is my beach chair. I'm anchored well enough into the sand that though all around me is getting tossed and turned, I can relax and enjoy the view, not worrying about being carried off into the sea, myself.

This image is a picture of my resolution in this world as a Believer. We live in a world that pushes and pulls against us like the waves on my beach chair. It's strong and commanding and leaves all the things not anchored down in complete confusion. And if I left my anchored spot and walked into the ocean further, I too, would be susceptible to being knocked over by those same waves. 

But what an Anchor we have. What a Firm Rock we stand on (or in this case, Beach Chair we sit in.) We don't have to be moved by the Tide that comes in. The Tide does not dictate our beliefs, our convictions, our Peace, or our lifestyle. Though we feel its pressures, we are not obligated to submit to it - and we should never want to, for it will only pull us into the confusion it creates.

And though others around us may bow to it - yes, even if the whole world is overcome by it, we have resolved to stand firm - to live bravely countercultural. We have decided to rest on the Beach Chair and not be swayed.


***

So fear the Lord and serve him wholeheartedly. Put away forever the idols your ancestors worshiped when they lived beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt. Serve the Lord alone. But if you refuse to serve the Lord, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.
Joshua‬ ‭24:14-15‬ ‭NLT‬‬


But as for me, I will always proclaim what God has done; I will sing praises to the God of Jacob. For God says, “I will break the strength of the wicked, but I will increase the power of the godly.”
Psalms 75:1-10 NLT

Comments

Popular Posts