Nothing Wrong With Practical

When it comes to gift giving, my mother always says, “Please, please, do not give me anything I have to dust." That's her way of saying, "Don't waste your money on impractical gifts for me." If we're going to spend money on her, let it be something useful.

I have to agree with her. There's nothing like getting an expensive gift from someone that then just sits in your closet or drawer or cabinet because you know you'll never wear it, use it, eat it, etc. The point of gift giving is not to clutter people's closets with things they don't need. 

The Bible gives us a glimpse of what great gift giving looks like. 

Then Herod called for a private meeting with the wise men, and he learned from them the time when the star first appeared. Then he told them, “Go to Bethlehem and search carefully for the child. And when you find him, come back and tell me so that I can go and worship him, too!” 

After this interview the wise men went their way. And the star they had seen in the east guided them to Bethlehem. It went ahead of them and stopped over the place where the child was. When they saw the star, they were filled with joy! They entered the house and saw the child with his mother, Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasure chests and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. 

When it was time to leave, they returned to their own country by another route, for God had warned them in a dream not to return to Herod.
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭2:7-12‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/mat.2.7-12.nlt

Some scholars say that these gifts were symbolic in nature. I could see that. God is always doing symbolic things. But it was two-fold. These gifts were practical in nature, as well. I don't think the Magi gave them gold so they could just lug it around with them feeling rich. No, they used it to live on. They gave practical gifts

It's hard for some people in the Western culture to fully grasp this concept. We're always looking for the novelty gifts and wondering what we can give the person who doesn't need anything. I'm certainly not saying there's anything wrong with that. I'm just saying, it's OK to give ordinary gifts, too, because sometimes those are the gifts that are the most appreciated! I mean, if my vacuum broke and I couldn't afford to buy a new one, I'd be so much more grateful to get a new vacuum or a gift card toward the purchase of one, than get a fancy bracelet I'll never wear.

I say all this to say - there's nothing wrong with practical, even if it seems overly practical, like giving groceries or paying someone's electric bill. It's these kinds of gifts, actually, that will make some people lift their eyes to heaven and thank God for it, because they know it's Him that made provision for them. In these moments, you are not only giving a gift, but you are being part of answering a prayer.

So this season, let the Spirit of God guide you as you select your gifts. God loves to give gifts and He knows just what would tickle a person the most...and it may not be what you originally thought!


Comments

Popular Posts