I AM Enough

I grew up in a religion that made me aware of sin. I knew from a young age that none of us get it right. They even labeled sin, ranking them from bad to worse. The guilt was heavy. The shame was clear.

But the solution they offered felt just as heavy. In order to get free of such sin and guilt, we were told to follow religious traditions like special ceremonies and praying repetitious prayers, in hope that we might fall into favor with God. Good service to others was also greatly encouraged. It was a whole lot of religious effort and left me feeling either self righteous when I had my p’s and q’s straight, or terribly guilty and shameful when I didn’t. I was told, though, that if I ever felt shameful, all I’d need to do is just keep trying more and be a better person. Just say your repetitious prayers five more times and make sure you get to church at least on Christmas and Easter so God can get you into His head count on major religious holidays. 

Oh boy, oh boy. Even just recalling this makes my heart feel heavy. I remember it well because this religious teaching/attitude transferred into how I was raised, and how I viewed life, and how I viewed myself, and how I related to God. It’s amazing how spiritual teachings permeate your life far more than just a Sunday morning religious service. You can’t compartmentalize what you believe about God from how you view and live your life.

So here’s the thing. The religion I had been taught had it 50% right. Yes, we are all sinners. Correct. The Bible makes it clear that all have sinned and have fallen short of the Glory of God. Because of sin, we have been spiritually separated from God. But what they failed to drive home to the people was the Good News! They talked a lot about the bad news (we are sinners) but never ‘brought the whole thing home.’ They failed to give us the Bible’s solution to this devastated place we were all drowning in. 

That Jesus died for us all and BY FAITH, NOT WORKS, we can be saved. That if we confess our sins to God Himself, and trust in Jesus’ sacrifice ALONE for our eternal life, we can be saved from this life of death! We can then relate to God in a personal way, as our Loving Father. We can be reconciled to Him and yes, even be friends with God! 

Now, yes, they did talk about Jesus. But I don’t think they ever took His sacrifice that seriously. If they did, we’d never been told that we still need to make such great effort to find favor with God. It was never just Jesus alone that we needed. It was Jesus plus the ceremonies, the repetitious prayers, and the good works. 

No matter what religion a person grows up in or believes in, all religion does the same thing. It is man’s efforts to get close to God.

But, oh, there is Good News for us all! God, in His outrageous Love for us, has made the first step and has come toward us! See, God couldn’t help Himself. He had to send Jesus simply because He didn’t want to spend eternity without His kids! He’d rather die saving us, then live without us. (Sounds like a Daddy’s heart to me, huh?)

So if you are reading this right now, and realize that you have been trying to get close to God, with no avail, it’s time you find out that all the work has already been done on the Cross for you. 

Jesus says, “Come. Come and confess your shortcomings to Me and I will not only forgive you, I will cleanse you on the inside of your guilt and shame. Because of Me, you will be made right with God. And there’s nothing further that you will need to do to be right with God. I AM Enough. Believe in me. Believe in my sacrifice for your sins. Let me into your heart and into your life. I promise you, you won’t regret it. And when you do, that is when your true LIFE begins!”

Comments

Popular Posts