The Silent Saturday

I've often wondered about that day. The day between the Cross (Good Friday) and the Resurrection (Easter Sunday). The Silent Saturday, I call it. The Victory on the Cross had been won but Jesus had not yet risen. It was the day that things were yet to be revealed fully in the natural. What must had it been like for His followers? Death had brought a cloud of sadness. It seemed all was lost.

But it wasn't!!

Little did they realize what had really happened.  Little did they know what had truly been accomplished. And little did they know that God was STILL at work. The Silent Saturday was only quiet for those in the natural. In the unseen world, things were lining up and events were taking place.

Many of us have lived through our own Silent Saturdays with God. We've walked through days, maybe entire seasons, where God was silent in some ways. He didn't let us in on the details of His workings. He left things hidden. He didn't disclose. He didn't reveal. 

His silence left us wondering.

Is God aware? Does God even care? Does He hear me? Has He forgotten about me?  If He loved me, He would fill me in and not remain so quiet! 

But His silence does not mean He is not devoted to us and does not care about us. His silence DOES NOT represent His activity. See, God is always moving on our behalf. He is FOR us, not against us. But there may be things that He leaves undisclosed because, well, maybe we just simply don't need to know about them. There are things I don't fill my children in on. They trust that my decisions in handling the affairs of the house are going to lead to their welfare. Even if they asked, they probably wouldn't understand if I started explaining to them the details of what I'm doing. They don't ask me about how I'm handling the budget.  They just trust that I'm going to make it work so that there is food for them when they wake up in the morning.

God is always working us toward trusting Him more and more. His goal is to refine our faith. His goal is to get us to trust Him like a little child. His goal is to get us to the point in our relationship with Him that we just trust He is handling things - even when He doesn't tell us what He's doing and how He is doing it.

Silent Saturdays are God's gift to us. It forces us to make a choice. Will we trust Him even when He's silent? Will we believe He is still moving and accomplishing things even if they have yet to be revealed to us in the natural? 

Rest assured. Easter morning will come. Things that are hidden will be unveiled. But for now, we trust Him in the silence.

Comments

Popular Posts