Drive-By Christmas

It can be easy to miss as you drive by the houses covered in hundreds of white, colored, and blinking LED lights. It can be easily overlooked when a huge inflatable Santa is lit up on the grass and waving at you in the cold night air. It can be easily out-shined by Rudolph's nose and the other mechanical reindeer that are placed front and center on the lawn.

We can miss it. We can miss the manger. We can miss the Story - the Story that is not fiction like the other Christmas stories we tell. The Story that gives us Hope beyond our 25 days of Christmas. The Story that can truly change our Scrooge-like outlook and give Light to the darkest and most hopeless heart.   

There's a house that my family and I like to go to and see each year. It is so lavishly decorated that it draws hundreds of people every year to come see it. The public is allowed to walk through their huge yard displayed with every kind of structure and Christmas display you can think of. But, if you just drive by, you miss it. You miss the Story. Only those that stop and walk through get to see that in the middle of it all a Manger Scene is shining bright. 

This year, I don't want to have a drive-by Christmas. I don't want to miss the Story. I want to slow down long enough to take in the Wonder and focus in on what's most important about this Season. I want to stop the car, get out and see what the fuss is all about. I want to find the manger and be reminded again. This Christmas, I don't want to miss it.

Comments

Popular Posts