Christmas Is A Time For Receiving

I love all things that come with Christmas.  The giving of gifts, the fa-la-la-la-la's, the decking of halls.  I love any reason to hug my loved ones a little closer and give to those in need during the holiday season.  I love connecting with old friends and receiving their Christmas postcards/family portraits.  It's all-round the most wonderful time of the year. 

And as I finish up the last of my Christmas shopping and the loose ends of my wrapping, I can't help but consider once again why I'm even doing all this in the first place.  It makes me come back to the famous scripture that wraps the Message of Love up like a beautiful present:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His One and only Son
that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."  
John 3:16
God's most precious Gift given in the small package of a baby boy.

I wonder...If we were to ask God what Christmas means to Him, I bet He'd probably look at us and smile -- so happy that we would even ask.  He would probably pick us up and place us on His Lap like He was ready to tell us the most amazing story we have ever heard. I bet He'd lean in close and whisper these precious words to us:

"Christmas is a time for receiving."

"RECEIVING!?"  we might exclaim.  Oh how contrary to what we would think or say!  How selfish!  "Christmas is not about getting!  It's about giving!"

"No, Christmas is first about receiving." He would reiterate. "Don't you see? I gave. I gave the most excellent gift a Father could give. I gave so that you might live. And, your response is to simply receive. Christmas is truly about Me giving and you receiving all that comes with the Gift I gave. All your giving beyond that is just a response from your receiving from Me."

So, this Christmas, let us be reminded.  Let us come back to the heart of God and His original reason for Christmas.  And let us be sure that we aren't just giving, but that we are also receiving - from Him.

Comments

Popular Posts