His Hiding Dove

My dove is hiding behind the rocks, behind an outcrop on the cliff. 
Let me see your face; let me hear your voice. 
For your voice is pleasant, and your face is lovely.”
‭‭Song of Songs‬ ‭2:14‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/sng.2.14.nlt
****

In this passage, the young man is saying this to the young woman who seems to be either shy or playing hard to get with her lover. In his affection, he calls her a dove. A dove is not an aggressive, bold animal. Mourning doves, or turtle doves, are actually quite timid, according to Wikipedia. They have a beautiful dark color to them (much like the young woman in Song of Songs has) and make the most pleasant and relaxing cooing sounds.

There are two mourning doves that live on my street. I hear them every morning among the chorus of the many, small, high-pitched birds that sing. Because the doves' pitch are so much lower than the other birds, I can pick them out instantly. But when I look out my window, I hardly ever see them and wonder where they could be, even though I hear them so distinctly.

This scripture gives a similar picture. The lover hears her distinct, pleasing voice, but she has hidden herself from his eyes. He thinks she is lovely. He obviously adores her. But there she hides, like a dove behind an outcrop.

I relate to this shy, little dove. Though I'm filled with affection for the Lover of my Soul, I simultaneously find myself wanting to hide from Him. I want to sing my love song to Him, but still stay hidden behind my protective 'outcrop' at the same time. 

It is then that I hear my Lover singing back to me. His Song is Sweet and lures me toward Himself and away from my defenses...

"Let Me see your face; let Me hear your voice. For your voice is pleasant, and your face is lovely. I have loved you with an Everlasting Love. I adore you from head to toe. I'm taken back by your beauty. I can hardly hold Myself back in your presence. I'm filled with deepest affection and My eye is only on you, My Love. You've stolen My heart. You've captured My attention forever. So, do not be so shy, My lovely dove. Come away from the outcrop. Pull away from your covering. For there is no shame between us. There is no fear in Perfect Love."

Comments

Popular Posts