Experiencing Christmas

There they sat, taking in every word as we sang,

"Silent night, Holy night.  All is calm, all is bright..." 

Each syllable was a sugar cube of comfort to their souls.  With their eyes closed, their lips moved with ours as we continued,

"round yon virgin mother and child.  Holy infant so tender and mild..."

We were the entertainment the nursing home had hired for the day, carolers in Victorian dress coming to bring Season's Greetings and cheer. 

But, I watched them as much as they were watching us. I watched as our words came alive to them. I watched as they held their hands to their hearts. I watched as they sang along and meant every word. I watched them worship as we sang, 

"Joy to the World, the Lord is come!  Let earth receive Her King!" 

One woman's eyes teared up as the Presence of Joy and Peace came into the room. 

"Wow." I thought to myself. "This is the heart of Christmas. To be caught up in the awe of the Holy One. To be wowed again by the thought of what He did for us. To be hushed in His precious Presence. To worship with sincere hearts the King that came to earth, the God who kept His Promise."

They thanked us as we left. But, honestly, I wanted to thank them. To us it was a job. But to them it was a time of blissful worship. We were there to bring Christmas to them, but they had unknowingly brought Christmas to us. 

Comments

Popular Posts