I Cry With You

I could never work at a funeral home. 

I'm a vocalist and I've considered seeing if I can sing at funerals.  But, I think I'd regret the decision.  My 'day at work' would turn into 3 hours of sobbing and 2 boxes of tissues.  I'd be a wreck as I watched others weep for their loved ones.  I know.  The people are all strangers to me.  But, it's like yawning.  If I see someone cry, I also immediately tear up.  I can't seem to control it.

I think what it is, is that I feel it with them.  Like a natural instinct.  I may not know the situation personally, but I know the feeling of sorrow and grief.  So, I connect with it.  I join with them in their struggle.  In a sense, it's my way of supporting  them and comforting them... to be able to say with my tears, "I'm so sorry". 

And, most of the time it's exactly the response that is needed.  The people don't need to hear me say empty cliches.  They don't need me to try to 'fix it' and make it all better.  I can't 'make it all better' in those moments of grief.  I can only do one thing...  weep with them.

Comments

Popular Posts