All Charged Up

My cell phone is amazing. I can text and make phone calls. I can take pictures with it. I can search for recipes. I can access directions on GPS to get me places. I can book concerts, take notes, keep track of my family's calendar, check the weather, google how to get stains out of my carpet or change the oil in my car. The list goes on and on! There is practically nothing I can't do with it! It's a fascinating device right there in my pocket. But as complex and amazing as my cell phone is, it is still a dependent device. It can only do what it does when it has power. Without it, it's nothing but a piece of plastic in my hand. That's why we all hate seeing that dreaded alert come up on our screens: 'LOW BATTERY'. We know then that the countdown is on and we'd better get it plugged into a power source or it won't be good for anything.

In the same way, Believers in Christ are amazing. We can do great things in this world. We are Light. We are Salt. We are Bright and Shining Stars. But we are only those things with His Power in us.

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God's glory
displayed in the face of Christ.
But we have this treasure in jars of clay
to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."
2 Corinthians 4:6-7 NIV

We only are what we are because of Him. Without Him, we are empty clay jars. Or like a cell phone, we are powerless pieces of plastic. It is with this Power that God does what He does through us. He saved us and filled us with this Power so that we can love on the world, not with our own power and strength, but with His. He is the electricity that runs through us.

We would be kidding ourselves, then, to think that we somehow can do God's will in and of ourselves. For us to do that would be like asking our cell phones to do what they do without a charge in them. Impossible.

God has never asked us to lean on our own strength and He never will. He knows it would be fruitless for us to do so. What He does tell us to do is abide in Him (John 15), stay plugged into Him, and remain fully charged. My friends, if God is going to get anything accomplished through us, it's not going to be in our strength, it's going to be by His Spirit.


'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the Lord of hosts.
Zech. 4:6 NKJV

For it is [not your strength, but it is] God who is effectively at work in you, both to will and to work [that is, strengthening, energizing, and creating in you the longing and the ability to fulfill your purpose] for His good pleasure. Philippians 2:13 AMP

The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:28-31 NIV

Comments

Popular Posts