Medicine Drops

My daughter had Pink Eye once.  Though, it was an uncomfortable thing for her, the Pink Eye itself was not what she was most concerned about. 

 It was the medicine. 

We bought her antibiotic drops that we knew would be quick to attack the source and bring her to quick healing.  But, though we knew it was good for her, and she knew it was good for her, she was frightened by it.

"Please, don't let it hurt." she pleaded.

"Honey, it won't.  But, what I need you to do is step into the light." I said, reassuring her as I lead her into the dining room where the light was brightest.

I put my hand under her chin and lifted her head.  Tears began to fall down her cheeks. 

"I'm scared!" she said, as she pulled away from me and covered her eyes with her hands.

It took 15 minutes for her to finally relax enough to let me get the drops in, but only a moment for the medicine to drop in and begin the healing process.




The process of getting her to the  place where she was ready to receive medicine was a a stunning picture of myself.  From my own mouth I have said her very words to God.  "I'm scared.  Please don't let it hurt."  Though His medicine was what I needed, the idea of receiving it was more frightening and agonizing than my heart pain itself.

But, oh the love of a Parent.  Our Dad's 'medicine drops' are for our healing, our health.  His intention is never to hurt us, only to love and heal us.  And, how patient He is with us in our process of coming to Him.  He doesn't push us.  He never scolds us for not coming.  Just as I helped my daughter, He leads us into His Light and lifts our heads.  He understands our suspicion.  But, He also knows the Truth that will set us free and He never gives up on us.  No matter how much we resist Him, He's not a parent that will just walk out the door the minute we say no.  He waits for us.  He builds a trust with us until finally we are able to say to Him, "Daddy, I'm ready for your medicine drops now."






Comments

Popular Posts