Petal Plucking

He loves me.  He loves me not.  He loves me.  He loves me not. 
He LOVES ME!

A child's simple game that said it all.  A scene filled with giggling girls, petals thrown everywhere, and the hope of true love. 

I played a game or two in my day.  Admittedly, I was one of those giggly little girls with stars in her eyes when I had a crush on a boy.  I can remember counting the petals before I started to try and figure out what the last petal would land on.  Would he love me?  Would he not?  Sometimes I rigged it to work in my favor.  It had to land on 'he loves me'.  How disappointing and unromatic it would be otherwise!

I don't play with flower petals anymore.  But, I do occasionally play a similar game with God. 

He loves me.  He loves me not...

I know He loved me yesterday.  But, today I just don't feel so secure about it.  I'm unsure about us. 

And, honestly, there is nothing I hate more.  It's similar to wondering from day to day if your father loves you.  Or, being uncertain if your husband or wife still accepts and adores you the way they did the day before.  It's an insecure and terrible place to be.  When my head is not on right and I'm on the "He loves me not' petal, my whole day takes on an insecure and shaky feel.  AUGH! 

And, then He reminds me. 

God doesn't play these kinds of games with us.  He's not waking up with an Eight Ball toy in His hand asking it if He should love me today or not.  He's not checking ridiculous horoscopes to see how He should feel about His day and feel toward me.  Can you imagine if that is the kind of Guy He is?  For sure, we'd all be swimmin' with the fishes by now. 

His Love is consistent and unconditional.  And, we forget sometimes that He's the One that made the first move.  We love Him because He first loved us.  He's the Initiator in this Romance we have with Him.  And, believe you me, He is more interested in keeping this flame alive than even we are. 

So with a sigh of relief, I stop the questioning.  I stop petal plucking.  And, I simply say thank you.

Thank you for loving me.  Today, tomorrow, and every day after.


Comments

Popular Posts